Akshay Khanna (born 28 March 1975) is an Indian actor, and the son of film producer Vinod Khanna. He made his acting debut in 1997 with Himalay Putra which was produced by his father. Since then he has been featured in several critically and commercially acclaimed films. Akshaye has been a recipient of Filmfare Awards twice.
Current user rating: 84/100 (1 votes)
His performance in the J. P. Dutta-directed Border (1997), earned him the Filmfare Best Debut Award and a nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1998. After that a string of less successful films followed such as Mohabbat (1997), Kudrat (1998), Laawaris (1999), Love You Hamesha (1999) and Dahek (1999).
In 1999, he starred in Rishi Kapoor's Aa Ab Laut Chalen, though the film did average business, he was praised for his acting. He next starred in Subhash Ghai's Taal opposite Aishwarya Rai. The film became a critical and commercial success.
In 2001, Khanna appeared in Farhan Akhtar's cult classic Dil Chahta Hai. This marked a turning point in his career: the film was a commercial and critical success and Khanna's performance was particularly applauded, later validated by Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in 2002. Dil Chahta Hai relaunched Akshay Khanna and Saif Ali Khan's careers.
In 2002, Khanna appeared in an Abbas-Mustan thriller Humraaz, his role as a convincing con-artist in this film earned him much critical acclaim and a nomination for a Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role. Khanna then plunged into the comedy genre with Priyadarshan’s Hungama (2002) and Hulchul (2004) that became box office hits.
After acting in a string of unsuccessful and lukewarm box-office films like Shaadi Se Pehle (2006), Aap Ki Khatir (2006), Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love (2007), Mere Baap Pehle Aap (2008), Gandhi, My Father (2007), and Naqaab (2007), Khanna appeared in the 2008 release Race. The Abbas-Mustan thriller was the fourth highest-grossing Bollywood film in 2008 and Khanna's performance in a negative role brought him awards in the Best Villain category. However, Khanna’s portrayal of Harilal Gandhi, Mahatma Gandhi's eldest son, in the critically acclaimed 2007 film Gandhi, My Father is unanimously acknowledged his best performance yet as an actor.
In 2010, he starred in Anees Bazmee's No Problem with Sanjay Dutt, Anil Kapoor and Kangana Ranaut. Khanna's later releases did not fare well at the box office, but his performances in Aakrosh (2010) and Tees Maar Khan (2010) were well-received by critics and audience.
After a four year hiatus, Khanna made his comeback in the film Dishoom.
- Mohabbat (1997) Also starring Sanjay Kapoor
- Himalay Putra (1997) Also starring Vinod Khanna
- Border (1997) Also starring Sunny Deol, Jackie Shroff, Sunil Shetty, Pooja Bhatt, Tabu
- Doli Saja Ke Rakhna (1998) Also starring Jyothika
- Taal (1999) Also starring Aishwarya Rai, Anil Kapoor
- Love You Hamesha (1999) Also starring Sonali Bendre
- Laawaris (1999) Also starring Manisha Koirala
- Aa Ab Laut Chalen (1999) Also starring Aishwarya Rai, Rajesh Khanna
- Dil Chahta Hai (2001) Also starring Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Preity Zinta, Sonali Kulkarni, Dimple Kapadia
- Humraaz (2002) Also starring Bobby Deol, Amisha Patel
- Deewangee (2002) Also starring Ajay Devgan
- LOC (2003) Also starring Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan, Saif Ali Khan, Sunil Shetty, Sanjay Kapoor, Nagarjuna
- Hungama (2003) Also starring Aftab Shivdasani
- Border Hindustan Ka (2003) Also starring Faisal Khan
- Hulchul (2004) Also starring Kareena Kapoor
- Deewaar (2004) Also starring Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt
- Shaadi Se Pehle (2006) Also starring Mallika Sherawat, Ayesha Takia, Sunil Shetty, Aftab Shivdasani
- Aap Ki Khatir (2006) Also starring Priyanka Chopra, Amisha Patel, Dino Morea, Sunil Shetty
- 36 China Town (2006) Also starring Shahid Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor
- Salaam E Ishq (2007) Also starring Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Anil Kapoor, Juhi Chawla
- Naqaab (2007) Also starring Bobby Deol, Urvashi Sharma
- Heyy Babyy (2007) Also starring Ritesh Deshmukh, Fardeen Khan, Vidya Balan
- Gandhi My Father (2007) Also starring Bhoomika Chawla, Shefali Chhaya
- Aaja Nachle (2007) Also starring Madhuri Dixit, Konkona Sen Sharma, Kunal Kapoor
- Mere Baap Pehle Aap (2008) Also starring Shobana
- Short Kut (2009) Also starring Arshad Warsi
- Tees Maar Khan (2010) Also starring Akshay Kumar
- No Problem (2010) Also starring Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt
- Aakrosh (2010) Also starring Ajay Devgan
- Gali Gali Chor Hai (2012) Also starring Sreya
- Delhi Safari (2012) Also starring Govinda, Urmila Matondkar
- Dishoom (2016) Also starring Varun Dhawan, John Abraham
- MOM (2017) Also starring Sridevi