Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
Current user rating: 90/100 (1 votes)
Raj Malhotra (Shah Rukh Khan) and Simran Singh (Kajol) are non-resident Indians living in London. Simran was raised by her strict and conservative father, Baldev Singh (Amrish Puri), while Raj's father (Anupam Kher) was very liberal. Simran always dreams of meeting her ideal man. Her mother Lajjo (Farida Jalal) warns her against this, saying dreams are good but one should not blindly believe they come true. One day, Baldev receives a letter from his friend Ajit (Satish Shah), who lives in Punjab. Ajit wants to keep a promise he and Baldev made to each other 20 years ago—to have Simran marry his son Kuljeet (Parmeet Sethi). Simran is disappointed—she does not want to marry someone whom she has never met.
One evening, Raj enters Baldev's shop after closing time to buy beer. Baldev refuses and Raj grabs a case of beer, throws the money on the counter and runs away. Baldev, infuriated, calls Raj a disgrace to India. Meanwhile, Raj's father has agreed to his request to go on a train trip across Europe with his friends, and Simran's friends have invited her to go on the same trip. Simran asks her father to let her see the world before her marriage, and he reluctantly agrees.
On the trip, Raj and Simran meet. Raj constantly flirts with Simran, much to her irritation. The two miss their train to Zurich and are separated from their friends. They start to travel with one another and become friends. Raj falls in love with Simran on the journey; when they part ways in London, Simran realises she is in love with him too. Simran tells her mother about the boy she met; Baldev overhears the conversation and becomes furious with Simran. He says the family will move to India the next day. Meanwhile, Raj tells his father about Simran and that she will soon be getting married. When Raj says he believes Simran loves him too, his father encourages him to go after her.
- Shah Rukh Khan as Raj Malhotra
- Kajol as Simran Singh
- Amrish Puri as Baldev Singh Chaudhary, Simran's father
- Farida Jalal as Lajwanti "Lajjo" Singh, Simran's mother
- Satish Shah as Ajit Singh, Baldev's friend in India
- Achala Sachdev as Simran's grandmother
- Himani Shivpuri as Kammo Kaur, Simran's aunt
- Pooja Ruparel as Rajeshwari "Chutki" Singh, Simran's sister
- Anupam Kher as Dharamvir Malhotra, Raj's father
- Parmeet Sethi as Kuljeet Singh, Ajit's son
- Mandira Bedi as Preeti Singh, Ajit's daughter
- Anaita Shroff Adajania as Sheena, Simran's friend
- Karan Johar as Raj's friend
- Arjun Sablok as Raj's friend